Apartment Hunting in Los Angeles is a Complete Nightmare

 When I decided to move from a small city on the west side of Florida to the city of Angeles. I knew it wasn’t going to be living in an upscale apartment in downtown Los Angeles or West Hollywood. I pictured my apartment being small in an artsy part of Long Beach with a view of the beach. (If I was lucky). Instead, my apartment hunting experience felt like trying to find a needle in a haystack.

Moving to Los Angeles

It’s always been my dream to live in Los Angeles ever since I was a kid. Stepping out from the Florida sun and into the SoCal has been something that I needed to do. Apartment searching wasn’t easy; as a matter of fact, it was one of the toughest things I have ever done. Apartment searching in LA is so different from apartment searching in Florida. For example in Florida websites like Curbed.comRent.com, ApartmentList.com, and Craigslist make it so easy to rent an apartment.

Credit Score

If you have a decent credit score you might end up paying a security deposit of a month’s rent. Or even half-a-month but in SoCal, this process is unheard of.

In LA a potential renter needs 3 months of rent and a security deposit of 3 times the amount of the rent along with a mandatory brokers fee. Most renters need to save money for an entire year just to move out. As I made my way to touring different apartments across all southern California. I came across what I call “Apartment searching in LA is a living nightmare”.

Continue reading here.

Comments